UNIVERSITY PARK ARBORETUM
Locality: University of Florida (29.652490, -82.356960)
W.A. and Catherine Shands donated 2.4 acres, at the corner of University Avenue and N.W. 23 Avenue, to the University of Florida in 1950 to be utilized as an Arboretum. Since named the University Park Arboretum, the property was classified as a Conservation land use in the Comprehensive Campus Master Plan 1995 - 2005.
Due to its proximity to the stadium, the property had been used primarily as a parking (tailgating) area during football games and as a neighborhood and campus natural area. In 2003, the University in conjunction with the local neighborhood association joined forces to begin implementation of the Shands family’s wishes to turn the property into a true Arboretum. Current plans include tree planting with identification markers, on-site stormwater improvements, invasive plant removal, and fencing.
Page 1 of 1: 1